Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sprout..............................

With the cold weather hounding us in central texas, I have to keep the seedlings inside. I thought about a cold frame, but really I want to make sure I get some really good transplants. So keeping them inside is the best way I feel to really regulate the temperature. Unfortunately, I lack what is vital to a plants growth....... a south facing window with full sun for at least 8-9 hours a day. Seedlings need about 16 hours from what I have been reading so I began to think of a way to give these helpless little sprouts enough light to grow. I looked at everything from growing lights to greenhouses, but none of these seemed budget friendly.

I ended up coming up with a pretty good setup for about 100.00. I bought the 3 shelf OMAR from Ikea and bought 2 shop chain lights  from Home depot. I did have to drill a few new holes to make the chain light fit within the three feet of the shelf but after that it was easy to hang the light with the chains provided.  I can move the lights up by the chain as the seedlings grow vertically. The lights are fluorescent T8 lights which from everything I have read, should be enough light to stimulate growth. 

Next week I have a guy coming in to grade the back yard meaning he will clean everything up, smooth it out and have it ready for the beds to go in. I am going to try to work on the raised beds this weekend. Weather Permitting. 

Next fall this whole shelf will be full with seedlings



2 comments:

  1. Right now, tomatoes, a cherry tomato type, green peppers, brussels, broccoli. The rest will go into the ground once the beds are done.

    ReplyDelete

verbal sprout