Tuesday, July 5, 2011

9 eggs and two golf balls later...........

I thought I had broken Little Shit(L.S.). 


I picked her up, booted her out of the coop, and closed it up for the whole day.  Every so often, I would see her scurry across the yard trying to get back to the now empty nest, only to be met by a locked door. She would fly up onto the roof,  looking for a way in. I have never seen or would ever believe she could fly that high. Don't mess with a lady on a mission is all I'm saying.....yowser. That night, she roosted with the rest of the girls. 


The next day she seemed great. Hanging around outside of the nesting box, eating, and drinking. I thought to myself, "well that was easy enough. No big deal." I thought breaking a broody hen would be ten times harder according to what I have been reading. She wasn't laying but I thought she just needed a few days to regroup and then she would be good as new. 


I went out of town to my Dad's in Louisiana for the fourth of July weekend. When I got back after three days I never guessed she would be broody again. There she was again, as happy as can be sitting on the eggs the girls laid over the weekend. Alright, maybe I got a little cocky with my skills. I thought I had fixed her easily. 

Over the weekend, I got to hang out with Henry and Sonny (the two roosters I brought to Dad's). They are huge and beautiful now, but seriously they crow all day. I had an idea to bring a few fertilized eggs of my dads home, just in case L.S. was still broody. I thought it would be cool if she could hatch eggs that they were fertilized by my Henry or Sonny. I was originally going to bring home 3 big eggs and one bantam egg( a miniature hen) but my brother made some killer Margaritas for the fourth and dammit, I dropped two of the big ones as I was headed out. There were only 4 eggs that day, so I ended up only bringing home one big egg and one bantam egg......and a headache. Thanks bro. 


When I got home, I slipped them under her and she hasn't moved since. I am hoping at least one of them hatches for her so she can be a mother. And if the one that hatches happens to turn out to be a hen rather than another rooster, that would be even better. We will see what happens in a few weeks. 


On another note, I found out that that the Tater tot loves to go fishing. I left him on the shore and he swam about two hundred yards to get to the kayak to go fishing with me. Stinker



No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout