Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I think its time for some more pretty Ladies

So, I think the first order of business is to get a few more pretty ladies here at the house. I told my mom of this plan and she said, " oh no babe, don't do that they will make your place stink."
I have been wanting some egg laying hens for about two years now. My neighbor has some and he will usually entice us with a few fresh eggs every now and then and every single time we I say, "Man we need some chickens of our own.
I recently got into building things. If i can dream it, I'm going to try to build it.  So I have dedicated my first task here at uprooted bamboo to building a chicken coop and getting some girls. I was looking for a really good coop to buy and while there are plenty on the market none really made me or our dwindling bank account happy. Besides, my brother built his own with a passive cooling and heating system and many other awesome amenities and I just want mine to be as cool as his.
I came across a website where you can buy chicken coop plans and build and customize it yourself and knew instantly this is the route I wanted to go. They say you can practically build it yourself and complete it in a couple of weekends. How hard can it be right? Im sure after a few choice words, a couple thrown tools, and a sigh here and there,  I will have a pretty good looking coop. I use pretty and good here because as with every project I start I have strict rules from Claire that I can attempt anything as long as it looks good.  Don't worry, I told her on this one.
This week I have been patiently watching the sun and shade in the yard to get the proper placement(who knew hens needed full sun to lay eggs). Next week I will begin the work.
Check out the link The Garden Coop  where  I bought the plans and see what hopefully the finished coop will look like. I went for the coop over the ark. My thought, The more pretty hens the merrier.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my girl, you make me laugh! Just put a lot of hay in the cage and it will keep the smell down :)!! Let's try to stay away from raising hogs - they can be really smelly. Full sun to lay eggs - just put in a light bulb and keep those eggs coming(just kidding)!! I am really excited for you - I know you will love it and will have the best time building your hen house. I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stick those ladies on the other side of the creek :) I love that you're always slinging a hammer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great idea! You sound a lot like me in some regards. I'm all about "construction" projects. Though, growing up, many were disposed of because my parents could not see my final vision for them....

    I am also moving into an apartment soon, and am way excited about container gardening.

    I don't know if you've read Little Homestead in the City, but they have a neat site about Urban Self-Sustainability. Or whatever. :-)

    Hope all goes well. Or, that all is at least exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mom! Yes, Ania.....I have read that and I love it. Drawing inspiration from many who have done it for sure. Slowly but surely it will come together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kel and Claire--I LOVE this! Can I live vicariously through you, just a little bit?

    Chickens! Yes! And you're building the coop before you get them--wise idea (voice of experience here). Make sure they can't range anywhere near your veggies (voice of additional experience, but you probably already knew this). Shane has all kinds of pointers and advice about coop-building if you care to hear it. And about everything else, of course ;)

    I recently read a book called "The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-sufficiency in the Heart of the City" by some folks who live smack in the middle of LA. It has chapter titles like "The Chicken is the New Pug" and "Pigeons: A Modest Proposal". How can you say no to that? It has some good ideas (though it's shy on "how-to") and parts of it cracked me up.

    We are sending all kinds of positive vibes to you and the ex-bamboo! Have fun; we love you two!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

verbal sprout