Monday, May 2, 2011

It was bound to Happen

The wind blew and the gate I thought was latched came undone and the boys got loose. 
I was in the back fighting with a water hose when I heard it. The girls were free ranging. 

Yeah. I know.

Rouge couldn't get to the coop fast enough and the boys got her. 

She's ok. Thankfully. They got a few feathers off of her back and hurt her leg. She wasn't bearing weight on it for about 2 days. Finally today she is putting her leg down and is walking. Throughout it all, that Rouge girl never stopped eating or drinking(she would never miss a treat) and even kept laying. She's a resilient girl. I sprayed her wound with an antiseptic ointment, massaged her leg(advice from the poultry forum) and added electrolytes and vitamins to their water. So far she is doing great. 

I felt guilty for not latching that gate and was super mad at the boys. But it was my fault. The gate should have been latched. Lesson learned. 

Lots of training yet to be done with those two. Sooner rather than later. 

My Rouge girl in front. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout