Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fight the Blight......and other things

Well I received an email back from the Texas Master gardener. According to him, I have a "variety" of problems going on. Good stuff. My thumb has gone from a faint hint of green to black and necrotic on the verge of falling off. Seriously ouch. 


Luckily, I don't have any nematodes. One of the problems I have is called early tomato blight. Seeing as though it has not rained in Austin for 2 months and has been dry dry dry, tomato blight should not be a very common disease occurrence right now.  I guess it's sort of not my style to grow things easily. I think I may have been super paranoid about watering in the beginning and ended up watering too much. The fungus is now out of control so I am going to have to use a copper fungicide, still organic, to kill it. I was going to spray over the past few days, but the forecast called for rain. Hopefully tonight we will get that nice, welcome cold front. I clipped off all the dead, affected leaves and I am hoping to salvage what's left. Surprisingly, I do have quite a few tomatoes growing even though the plants are somewhat small still. 


The second problem I have is a bug infestation. The master gardener couldn't tell for sure what type of bug it is and I have yet to see any so I am going to start using NEEM oil to get rid of any type of infestation.


Even after reading a ton of material on what to do and what not to do, I still cant grow a damn tomato. Lesson #1 learned: even the simplest mistake can ruin something, but next time I swear I won't go crazy with the water. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout