Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Merge

So the merging of two flocks begins.................... I wouldn't be so worried except with my unlucky chicken history, I could write a book about how to handle rare situations that almost never occur when raising chickens. Seriously. 


The little girls(Bridget and Monica) have been out for almost a week now. I think they were shocked going from a nice breezy 73 degrees in the laundry room to a scorching, melting, make you wanna move out of Austin 107 degree heat. It took them a few days to adjust to the heat, but with a box fan and daily ice downs they are doing well. 


2 little chilled chicken booties


The big girls are super skeptical. The pecking order does indeed exist in chicken life and the big girls aren't letting the little ones off the hook. I am merging slowly as all the literature advises. I have a small chicken hutch within the coop where the little ones reside. The older girls see them and interact with them, but the little ones are safe from the occasional peck that flies at them. So far Penny seems to be the biggest bully. She likes to walk up to the hutch, throw a few pecks around and act tough. As soon as the little ones are big enough to defend themselves(a month and a half or so) I will let them free range with the older girls and then merge them as one flock. Seems easy enough, but ya'll know me, the more complicated route is more my style. 


Hutch in the coop

Bridget

Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout