Thursday, August 4, 2011

Shade Cloth Savior

Remember when I said my fall garden was going to kick ass. Well it's gonna, if the heat lets up and if it ever rains. Did I mention we here in central Texas are in a serious drought. It literally hasn't rained since May. 

The last good day to plant tomatoes and peppers in Austin was around July 25th from what I have been reading and from what the good folks at the garden store told me. So, I planted mine. Round two. Here we go. I swear if I don't grow at least three good tomatoes this fall, I'm going to..................... yell and hell I don't know keep trying I guess. 

Since it's so hot and sunny, the mid day sun is killer on the tomatoes, peppers, and squash. My savior is a 40% shade cloth I set up. Because it's 40% it's supposed to cover all of the boxes for the full day and allow 60% of the UV rays to soak through, enough for ample plant growth. So far everything looks good. By the end of the day the peppers look a little sluggish, but I give them a little water and they perk right up. 

I really just want this to work. 


Btw, the black around the boxes are weed barrier. My next project is to edge the garden area off and add some gravel. Soon. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout