Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mulch, Mulch, Mulch..............

I have been lagging with the mulching. 

Mulch  does a variety of good things for plants, veggies, and trees. With this heat it really isn't something I should have been ignoring.  Did I mention I just rotted in the box(Job) for 11 days straight? Yeah, I said 11. Yowser. Anyway I have four days off (yay!) and today I was able to snag some pine needle mulch. I went with pine needles because at the end of the season, I will be able to just till it in and use it in a good organic matter kind of way. 

I fertilized today and will every two weeks with good ole stinky John's Recipe. Im tellin you, after I use this stuff(and spill it all over myself), the dogs go crazy around me and I'm not allowed to sit on the couch until I shower. P U. It keeps the plants strong, growing, and is super simple to use. 

I am spraying the leaves also every week with NEEM oil. I have a little bit of an ant problem and also have noticed a few little slimy worm patterns on a few of the tomato leaves. So, I am keeping ahead of a potential problem(remember spring) and spraying every week. It's safe, organic, and wont hurt the plants or us, even if we harvest and eat on the same day. 

Pepper plant with the new mulch. Drip Irrigation is underneath

On a happy note, the little girls Bridget and Monica are thriving. They love to go outside in their backyard hutch, scratch around, and take dust baths. I can't believe they are already almost three weeks old. 

Bridget and Monica



No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout