Monday, November 21, 2011

Rye Rye Rye

Remember the buffalo grass? Native seed my ass.

I tell you what, it may have worked out if this spring in Austin wasn't Death Valley Apocalyptic hot. But it didn't. After this summer, I had a backyard full of weeds and no buffalo grass mix. It was just too hot to germinate. No worries though, my nickname should be "second chance Kelly." I'm much better the second time round. Exhibit A: my small little harvest today, which is so much more than I grew this past spring when there was not a drought. 


Anyway, I am going to try again this spring. Not with buffalo, but with something else(not quite sure what). I got rid of all the weeds again and decided that I'm done with the mud pit we call our backyard. So, I threw down a cover crop for the winter and I can't believe IT WORKED! With a few days of rain, we have a backyard full of annual rye grass. It will stay all winter and die of in the spring when the temps warm up just in time for spring grass planting.  Even better, the girls will feel like they are in Heaven when I let them out to free range in the rye area in the spring. 

Exhibit B: I finally did something the first time around successfully. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout