Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Chicken Freak

I'm afraid I am becoming one of those weird chicken people who keep amassing chicken after chicken. I swore to myself I wouldn't become a chicken hoarder. Too late. 


When Bridget went broody I wanted to be annoyed, but secretly I was ecstatic. After spending time with my grandmother a few weeks ago and seeing her hen raising some little ones, I really wanted to see one of my girls become a mother. When I noticed Bridget sitting in the nest box more than she should, I knew it was my chance to let her hatch a few. I started my search on the Austin Poultry Meetup Group and found a few people who had some fertilized eggs for sell. I have to tell you, finding eggs in the city is tough. A 45 minute trip north and two country roads later, I am the proud owner of six new eggs that hopefully in 21 days will be chirping. 


Silkies, Frizzles, and a Black Copper Maran (rare)


I also picked up 5 more eggs today from a friend. We aren't sure if all of them are fertilized so  I will candle them in the future days to find out.  
I am going to let Bridget raise them if she wants and not brood them in the laundry room like the last broody disaster. I can (and I bet all of ya'll can too) already hear Claire jumping with joy. Because I won't brood them in the laundry room I need a place for them to live and grow away from the bigger girls STAT. I already started cutting and laying out the lumber for the new chicken coop. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a ton done on it, since I'm rotting in the box the next 5 days. Ugh. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout