Friday, April 20, 2012

First Chard Experience

We are Rockin' and Rollin' in the garden so far this spring. The Swiss Chard took off and is growing like a weed. Its easy to grow and adds great color to the garden space. To be honest, I love it just for it's appearance. Since it was getting as tall as me, I figured it was time to harvest a little and cook some up. I actually have never even eaten chard, much less prepared it, so I did have to do a little google search. I got so many results for sauteed chard, but I really wanted to use something that incorporated eggs since we have a surplus of them. I found a recipe for a quiche, tweaked it a little and cooked up something halfway edible. The hardest part of the whole experience was resetting the oven every time we opened it to take a peek.  For some reason it turns off every time we open it and we have to move the fridge to reset the breaker. I guess it shows how much we care to get a new oven since we don't even use it that much. Embarrassing. 


Potato Crusted Swiss Chard Quiche 

Ingredients

5-6 small-medium red potatoes
2 tsp of olive oil
3/4 cup of onions 
Garlic to taste
4 eggs
10 egg whites (1-1/4 cup)
½ cup 2% milk
Cheddar Cheese 
A pinch of nutmeg
Cooking spray
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 375.
Heat olive oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat.  Saute onions and garlic.
Stir in the Swiss chard and sauté another two to three minutes or until the chard is just wilted.  Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and allow the greens to cool for a few minutes. 
In a large bowl whisk together eggs, egg whites, and milk.  Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray and layer thin slices of potato all over the sides and bottom of pans, making sure to overlap them.
Once the greens have cooled, combine them with the egg mixture and pour everything into the potato lined pie crust. Scatter shredded Cheddar Cheese over the top and then pop into the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the eggs are good and done. 
The following recipe was taken and adapted from the website:  http://cleananddelicious.com/2010/07/08/potato_crusted_swiss_chard_qui/

The Finished Product


The recipe also says you can change up the cheeses and use feta or goat cheese. I used cheddar cheese because I can't stand goat cheese. It literally tastes like my goat Billy I owned as a kid smelled. Gross. Can't do it. Play with it each time and you can have a different quiche every time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout