Monday, April 30, 2012

Mishap

Well Hell. 


On day 2 of Bridget holding court on her unborn babies, we had a mishap. Shocking, I know.  Old girl got confused. I set her up in a nest box and blocked her off from the other girls. I put her some food and water and secured her in but it obviously was not too secure because she high jumped like an olympian right on out of there. Someone give this girl a gold medal please. Unfortunately, she couldn't get back in and ended up sitting on the other nest box which was empty except for one lonely golf ball. I'm not sure how long the eggs were chilling there without her heat, but I read somewhere (after frantically googling on my iPhone during a Feist concert) that broody chicks usually get up every other day for about 30 minutes at a time, leave the nest to take care of business and eat and drink a little. Since I didn't know how long she had been off the nest, I resigned myself to wait until day 7 to candle to see if they were still alive. 


Today is Day 6 and I could not wait any longer. I candled a few minutes ago and good news folks. The eggs are alive and kicking. Literally. I could see them moving inside the shell! So amazingly cool. I only candled a couple because I did not want to disturb her nest too much but the eggs seem to be progressing perfectly. One week down two to go. I think my bridgie girl can do it. 


I tried to take some video footage(its super raw). In it you can see a few veins and that black dot in the center was moving around like crazy back and forth.  Silkie Madness!



No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout