Tuesday, May 1, 2012

So far so good.

Today I worked on the new brooder/coop. This is where the new little ones will reside with mama Bridget for a few weeks. She will raise them for probably 4-6 weeks, get tired of them, and reincorporate into the flock. They will stay there and grow until they are big enough to integrate with the older girls. 


Framing it up
As I was working on the coop today, I left the door open to the nesting box to see if Bridget wanted to stretch her legs and eat and drink a little. Most broody chickens leave the nest a few times during their broodiness and I figured I may as well monitor how long she is off (Don't worry, I have water and food next to her at all times). About an hour and a half of having the door open, she busted out of there and started running around chatting it up. She sat at the waterer for 10 minutes drinking like she had just run a marathon. She ate a little and then took multiple dust baths. After about an hour I started to get worried that she forgot she was supposed to be sitting on the nest so I picked her up(she was so light from brooding) and put her back on the nest where she settled in nicely. 
13 more days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

verbal sprout